Overview for Patients
The Australasian Lung Cancer Trials Group (ALTG) has a membership of almost 800 clinicians including medical and radiation oncologists, nurses, respiratory and palliative care physicians and surgeons. The information on this website is mainly about ALTG Clinical Trials and Research in lung and other thoracic cancers.
ALTG members design investigator-led clinical trials to answer specific research questions about thoracic cancers which are cancers affecting the lung and chest area. The research conducted by the ALTG includes topics related to:
- Surgical procedures
- Radiation treatments
- Drugs – both current and “experimental” (new medicines)
- Cells and other biological products
- Medical devices
- Psychotherapeutic and behavioural therapies
- Health service changes
- Educational interventions
A list of trials led or endorsed by the ALTG is available on the Clinical Trial List page.
If you are looking for other types of information or support, Lung Foundation Australia has a number of valuable resources, such as:
- Free, confidential telephone support groups for lung cancer patients at any stage of their illness. If you would like to connect with other people in a similar situation, please freecall 1800 654 301
- A Lung Cancer Support Nurse, Lung Foundation Australia has appointed a Lung Cancer Support Nurse to provide one-to-one telephone support and information to patients, their families and carers. To organise an appointment, please call the freecall 1800 654 301.